Ready for something easy, fast, and delicious? I have just the dish for you…
Now that it’s officially spring, sweet vegetables and fruits are making their way back into our markets. What better way to take advantage of spring arugula (which tastes more sweet than peppery this time of year) and early tomatoes than gently warmed in freshly cooked pasta. Add in some cubed fresh mozzarella, pecorino cheese, a bit of prosciutto and olive oil and you have a dinner that is both tasty and lovely to look at. As an extra bonus, this dish takes less than ten minutes to prep so you can spend your afternoon enjoying the sun.
Fresh Arugula and Tomato Pasta with Mozzarella Cheese
Makes: 4 large servings
1/2 lb spaghetti, linguine, or fettuccine broken in half
2 cups washed arugula
1 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
4 slices of prosciutto
1 cup cubed fresh mozzarella
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino or Parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta until al dente.
2. While pasta cooks, cube mozzarella, halve the tomatoes, and dice the prosciutto.
3. Set washed arugula, mozzarella, cut tomatoes, and prosciutto in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and a dash of kosher or sea salt.
4. Drain cooked pasta, setting aside 1/2 cup of pasta water
5. Set hot pasta on top of arugula mixture and let sit for a minute. This will wilt the arugula and warm the tomatoes, cheese and prosciutto.
6. Add the olive oil and toss.
7. Top with a light coating of pecorino cheese and serve.