Spring has arrived, which means that asparagus and strawberries are in full season. Today I received a delivery from a local farm and in the box of organic vegetables and fruits, sat a bushel of perfectly tender asparagus. I also had some fully-ripe and sweet strawberries sitting on my counter. As I stared at both the asparagus and strawberries, I knew I had to have both of these ingredients tonight, when they’re at their peak of freshness. Trying to figure out what to make with these two ingredients was easy as they are both perfect fillings for crepes.
Now don’t let the idea of making crepes from scratch talk you out of cooking this dish. If you use a hot skillet and a little oil, crepes are very easy and fast to make. Also, the great thing about making crepes is that it’s almost as easy to make enough for both dinner and dessert as not, so make sure to have some berries and Nutella on hand for after dinner!
1 cup of flour
1 whole egg
1 cup of whole milk
1 dash of salt
1. Whisk all ingredients except the oil.
2. Heat a medium lightweight skillet. When hot, drizzle it with olive oil (only use about a 1/4 – 1/2 tsp)
3. Pour about a half cup of batter in the hot pan.
4. Quickly pick up the pan and tilt it on it’s side so the batter starts to spread out. Tillt in a circle so you make a roundish crepe.
5. When the crepe’s air bubbles start to pop and the crepe looks like it’s golden on the underside, turn it over with a spatula (or flip it if you’re very talented, which I am not).
6. Cook on the other side for 30-60 seconds, or until the crepe is cooked fully.
7. Remove crepe from the pan and continue cooking the batter until it’s all gone. If the pan starts to dry out, add a little more olive oil.
Asparagus and Cremini Mushroom Filling
About 8 asparagus
5 medium cremini mushrooms (or more if they’re small)
3 green onions
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop up all the vegetables into smallish pieces (about a 1/4-inch), reserving the asparagus tips so they remain about a 1/2-inch long.
2. Heat skillet on medium heat and then add olive oil and butter.
3. When butter is melted, add vegetables and cook on medium low for about five minutes or until they start to soften and meld.
4. Add heavy cream along with some salt and pepper.
5. Shake pan so the cream coats the vegetables and simmer for about five minutes.
6. Set a cooked crepe on a plate and fill each with about a 1/4 cup of vegetable filling.
7. Fold up and serve.
Strawberry, Banana and Nutella Crepes
1 cup strawberries (cleaned and quartered)
1 whole banana (sliced)
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup nutella (heated until soft and pourable)
1. Mix fruit in a bowl with the sugar. If you like your fruit slightly heated, just put everything in the pan you used to make crepes and heat for about 1 minute. Don’t cook too long or the strawberries will start to release too many juices.
2. Place fruit in a crepe, fold up, and top with Nutella